There are plenty of cool features on Zwift to add to your online cycling experience and make it a lot more challenging and fun. I will take you through some of the key features I personally use and additional keyboard shortcuts to easily access some of Zwift’s functions and features in one click.
IN GAME MENU AND SETTINGS
You can access the Menu screen by clicking on the Menu button from the ride screen. If you don’t see the Menu button, just click anywhere on the screen and the Menu button will appear in the lower left corner.
From the Menu screen, you can access:
- Settings: Allows you to change game volume, game resolution, switch measurement from metrics to imperial, adjust trainer difficulty, along with other functions to adjust your gaming experience.
- Customize: menu to change your kit, bike, wheels and other options.
- Pair menu: allows you to pair your trainer, power meter, heart rate monitor, and cadence sensor.
- Achievements: Allows your to view all your current achievements.
You can access the trainer difficulty from the Game Settings menu described above. By default, it is set at 50% which mean your trainer will adjust to 50% of the slope. So if you see a climbing grade of 10%, then the trainer will only simulate 50% of that which is 5%. If you want to experience the real hills of Watopia, change that to 100% and happy climbing. Check your trainer for maximum incline simulation.
ZWIFT MOBILE LINK
Zwift Mobile Link is a game controller app which you can download from iTunes App Store or Google Play for Android. The app is basically a game controller which you can use to enhance your Zwift experience. The app will connect to Zwift running on your laptop as long as your PC and phone are using the same WiFi network.
With the Mobile Link app, you can control your ride, take a screenshot, search for riders, update settings, send messages, or browse and join events.
ZWIFT KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS
- 1-9: Change the view
- 0: Change to panoramic view
- A: Will take you to the Pairing screen
- E: To access Select Workout Screen
- M: Send a group message
- G: Switch HR/Power Zone graph on/off
- P: To unlock a new kit
- T: Change gear and setup during the ride
- U: Change toggle the unit from metric to imperial
- Spacebar: Use Power Up
- Tab: Skip current interval block
- Down Arrow: Do a u-turn. U-turns are limited to 15mph or less and no riders close by.
- ESC: End ride
- F1: Elbow flick
- F2: Wave
- F3: Ride On!
- F4 to F9: Give various sounds
- F10: Screen Capture/Photo
Here is a printable sheet for all Zwift Keyboard Shortcuts for your reference.
If you don’t have a keyboard conveniently placed by your bike trainer, take a look at remoteMouse app, a little handy app which I personally use. It will basically convert your phone or tablet into a wireless keyboard.
Zwift offers a variety of group rides, races, and just solo riding. But did you know you can also follow custom workout plans?
You can access the Custom Workout from the start menu by clicking on the Select Workout button next to the Ride Type, or press the E key on your keyboard during your ride.
From there, you can select from a variety of workouts or follow a specific workout plan. You can also create your own custom workout.
You will find a list of workouts on the left menu and description for each one on the right.
This is the custom workout menu where you can create your own workout
EXPORT TRAINING PEAKS WORKOUT TO ZWIFT
TrainingPeaks, the popular online training software for athletes and coaches, recently added the ability to export your structured workouts to most indoor training applications.
To export a structured workout to Zwift, you will need to download the .ZWO file by clicking the ‘Export’ button in the upper right corner of Quick View.
Then follow these instructions:
- Make sure Zwift is closed
- Download your structured workout from TrainingPeaks. You need the ZWO file
- Give the file you just downloaded a meaningful name
- Copy the ZWO file to Zwift workouts directory (“\Documents\Zwift\Workouts\”)
- Open Zwift and go to your Select Workout Screen (Click the E button)
- Now you should be able to view and start your workout
OTHER ZWIFT TIPS
- Unlock new kit: During the game, hit the P key and enter the jersey code to unlock your new kit. Here is a list of all currently available Zwift kits codes on the Zwift Blog.
- Fan mode: click on rider names to watch a specific rider. Camera mode is controlled by Zwift and can’t take it over by using the 1-9 keys.
- To Join a Rider: find the rider in the start screen list in the Zwift Mobile Link app. Click on the rider name and Zwift will take you directly to that rider.
- Zwiftlizer: If you are wondering if your computer is optimized for Zwift, check out Zwiftlizer. Just import your last log file into Zwiftlizer and you will see where your computer is ranked. You can find the log file in your Document folder under Zwift > Activites.
Do you know of any other tips? Please let us know in the comment section.