Wahoo Fitness today launched the latest KICKR direct drive trainer. The new KICKR is the same familiar KICKR direct-drive trainer with minor updates that will make riding this KICKR a bit more accurate, and comfortable than previous versions.
This is the fifth KICKR generation or we will call it the KICKR 5 or KICKR 2020. It features power accuracy within +/-1%. This is an improvement from the +/-2% the previous generation had and similar to the KICKR Bike. However, unlike the previous generation where you have to manually calibrate the trainer to ensure accuracy, the KICKR 5 has a proprietary auto-calibration process, so you never have to calibrate it or worry about power accuracy. Just get on and ride.
Here is a list of what’s new with the KICKR 5:
• KICKR AXIS cushioned feet
• +/- 1% power accuracy
Other than that, everything else remains the same. The same 16 lbs flywheel, same 2,200 maximum watts, and same 20% maximum gradient.
The biggest change you will feel with the KICKR 5 is the side-to-side movement that you find in some other bike trainers such as the Tacx NEO, Kinetic R1, or rocker plates.
The KICKR 5 comes with cushioned feet to allow for this side-to-side tilt up to 5 degrees. The good news for previous KICKR owners is these cushioned feet are also compatible with previous generations and sold separately. You can get your own cushioned feet $79.99 and will be available late August or early September.
The new KICKR retails for the same $1,200 price and is available today to order from WahooFitness.com.
QUICK KICKR 5 HIGHLIGHTS
- PRICE: $1,200
- DESIGN: The KICKR is built with a steel frame. It comes with foldable legs, and adjustable height, a handle, and cushioned feet.
- MAXIMUM SLOPE: The KICKR 5 can simulate gradients up to 20%.
- ACCURACY: +/-1%.
- WHEEL SIZE: 24″, 650c, 700c, 26″, 27.5″, 29″.
- AXLE: 130 and 135mm quick release, 12x142mm, and 12x148mm.
- CASSETTE COMPATIBILITY: 11 Speed with 11-28 ratio included. Compatible with 8, 9 & 10 Speed.
- CONNECTIONS: Smart Bluetooth x3, ANT+ FE-C compatible.
- FLYWHEEL: 16 lbs flywheel.
- CALIBRATION REQUIRED: NO
- METRICS: Transmits power, speed and cadence.