Garmin announced the release of two new bike computers, the Edge 530 and Edge 830 along with a new speed and cadence sensors.
Garmin kept all the features you are probably familiar with if you have their older models, 520 or 820 but added additional features geared toward off-road riding and MTB, as well as dynamic performance monitoring and analytics.
The Garmin 530 packs a bigger high-resolution color screen than its predecessor and grows to 2.6″ from 2.3″. Both Garmin 830 and 530 have similar features except the 830 is a touchscreen and comes with additional navigation features.
- Display size grows to 2.6″ from 2.3″.
- Dynamic performance monitoring provides insights into your VO2 max, recovery, training load, power curve, heat and altitude acclimation, nutrition, hydration and more.
- Hydration/Nutrition Alerts: It will automatically calculate how much water and nutrition you should be taking.
- Bike Alarm and Saftey Features The new computers include new bike alarm, group messaging and tracking, incident detection and compatibility with Varia™ rearview radar and lights so you can see and be seen
- Integrated Off-Course recalculation and back to start; mountain biking model has integrated Trailforks data, including trail difficulty ratings.
- Includes routable Garmin Cycle Map with popularity routing —which helps you ride like a local.
- ClimbPro feature automatically shows the remaining ascent and grade when you’re climbing while following a route or course.
- MTB dynamics track jump count, jump distance and hang time as well as Grit, a measure of the ride’s difficulty, and Flow, which tracks the smoothness of your descent so you have a score to beat next time.
- Find My Edge feature automatically detects the exact GPS location of your Garmin Edge device.
- Bluetooth Smart sensor support: about time… finally, Garmin started to slowly add Bluetooth support to its devices.
- Battery life: up to 20 hours with GPS and works with Garmin Charge™ power pack for up to 40 hours of additional battery life.
- Price: Garmin Edge 530 starts at $299 and Garmin Edge 830 starts at $399.
UNIQUE FEATURES OF THE EDGE 830
- Processing power is twice as fast in the Edge 830 than Edge 820.
- Ability to add the full destination address in the 830.
- Heat Map display data from GarminConnect.
- Point of Interest Database gives you the ability to search for a nearby restaurant or a coffee shop.
NEW SPEED AND CADENCE SENSORS
Garmin also released a new speed and cadence sensors to their lineup. Both wireless sensors now support dual ANT+ and Bluetooth for easy pairing to other mobile devices. Each sensor will cost you $40 and there is
Garmin Edge 530 and 830 are available to order now and should start shipping early next month.
Here is a video overview of all the new features of the Garmin Edge 530